How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We recently had a burglary and £6000.00 of goods was stolen

This answer was rated:

We recently had a burglary and £6000.00 of goods was stolen which belonged to some lodgers/tenants of ours. In good faith we submitted a claim to our insurers who paid out cash and replace goods to the value of those stolen. We gave the goods and cash to the tenants.
Subsequently the insurers have said we were not insured as we failed to tell them the goods weren't personally ours nor where they the possesion of family members and have asked us to pay the total value of items back or they will take us to court etc.
the tenants have moved out and refuse to give items back effectively saying its not their problem. Can we pursue the tenants via the courts and do we have a valid legitimate case against them or the insurance company??
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help,you with this.
Did you have landlord insurance please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, my insurance was standard personal insurance. I don't think we have much recourse through insurance company as i have just found out that my wife said the goods were ours. But can we get the items back from tenants?

Sadly you are right. You are not liable for contents so your tenants needed their own insurance. As for your own insurance this should be landlord and not personal insurance so I am not surprised they want it back. However you can ask for the payment from your ex tenant and sue them if they refuse.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for info, I just need your opinion on what strength of case if at all you think I have against my ex tenants.

I think you have a decent case.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.