How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter's University course only provided 18 hours of course

This answer was rated:

My daughter's University course only provided 18 hours of course specific teaching during the whole academic year this year, and just a few hours more last year. The students have been complaining for more than a year, as a group and using their student reps, that they were not receiving any teaching, with no result. The course has now finished. Can we pursue compensation from the University for failing to provide adequate teaching and failing to address the students complaints?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** clear response. Presumably the claim needs to be in my daughters name as she was the student?

What sort of success rate is there through the county court, particularly for students?

There is also the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, but according to the University complaints policy the student needs a Completion of Procedures letter before we can contact them and we have not had one. Also 75% of the time they agree with the University. The Uni has failed to uphold their own complaints policies, but do we need to show we have followed all their procedures first? Because their procedures look like they are designed to discourage anyone from complaining. If so we will still be waiting for the University to respond, which they are in no hurry to do.

Also would we be better to get all the students to make a joint claim?

Yes it would need to be in her name. Success rates are not published as over 99% of cases are not reported. Yes all the students can take action together, but then it wont be a small claim any more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will I need to prove I have exhausted all their complaints procedures first?

Ideally yes. Then you can then take action.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Only I would rather just give the Uni 14 days rather than wait for them to continue with their delaying tactics.

Thanks Alex

Indeed. You can do that if you wish.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.