How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I had a problem with the roof of the kitchen of the house I

This answer was rated:

I had a problem with the roof of the kitchen of the house I own. Water has run off it, on to my neighbour's roof and entered her property. When I made a claim with my insurance company I was told that they would not pay for any repair work to my house. My roofer told me that the neighbour's roof had not been constructed properly and so it was letting in rain. The neighbour now expects me to pay a contribution to the internal repair of her house. I have advised her that her roof is at fault too but did indicate that I would pay a good will sum (I was considering £100 to £150). If I pay this money, am I admitting liability and making myself legally liable for additional demands for money, or would my offer be legally seen as merely a good will gesture.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
As long as you make it clear (and it should be in writing) that you are making the payment as a goodwill gesture and without any admission of liability then you will not be admitting responsibility by making the payment.
LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you