How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I'm so worried that if my husband is refused legal aid,that

This answer was rated:

I'm so worried that if my husband is refused legal aid,that my money I have from retirement for funeral and my home would be taken as well.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice. My name is***** husband has been accused of historical sexual offences we both so distressed as you can amaging . Now we were at court and it was no plea where told its for crown court and go the 1st July. So we had a form to sign . Asked if own our home , we said yes do you have a mortgage no we have none, how much is house worth £2000. We were then told that we could be asked too pay costs. I'm so worried the hole thing has us both ill with worry. My dr is try to get support for me as in mental health because I'm in a bad place. So this is why I'm asking for your help.

Your husband will, of course, need legal representation in such a serious case. There is no choice in that really.
Legal aid is a far better way of funding his representation - he will be able to instruct a solicitor and barrister at a much better rate than paying privately. So applying for legal aid is the best way forward.
He may have to pay a contribution towards the cost of funding. It depends very much in his disposable income - but the starting point is to submit the application and only then will he be advised in the cost.
If he does not have to pay a contribution then represntation will be completely free - but if he is convicted if these charges he may then be told to make a contribution from capital e.g. property.
Your husband does not have to apply for legal aid but if he does not he will have to fund his defence privately but even if he wins he will not be able to recover his costs as their is no mechanism for doing so in the Crown Court.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Alice for your help will do that and wait for them to reply. Could you please tell me how much my payment is to you. Also this is just a one off payment. Kind regards ***** *****

It was my pleasure. I believe this was a one off unless you signed up to a subscription. May I suggest that you contact customer services as they deal with that side of things?