How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34892
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My other half bought me a house

Customer Question

My other half bought me a house from the sale of his property when he moved away he gave instructions to the solicitor that it was to be my house . I am the registered owner . He died a few weeks ago without a will and his estranged brother gets the lot . Where do I stand please , can I give my house to my daughter so his brother can't get it , many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - were you living together at the time of his death?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No we weren't , sorry this is really stressful I'm just getting over breast cancer and this is really hard for me

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for your loss.
If the house is registered in your sole name and was a gift for you then the house is yours and the brother has no claim on it.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details