How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I recently separated from my wife in the UK . I am currently

Customer Question

I recently separated from my wife in the UK . I am currently receiving a UK superannuation pension (UK local government ) . When we parted we agreed that my wife would keep the house and contents and I would keep my pension. However since then my wife has visited a solicitor who has asked for details not only of my pension , but also bank statements going back 12 months and a whole list of personal financial information
I'm happy to provide pension information, its only £1600 per month after UK tax. Just enough for me to live on out here but not in UK.
am I legally required to give his information ? What are the consequences if I don't ? I have no plans to return to the UK in the short term , what jurisdiction do UK courts have here can they access my Philippines bank account ? Or ask for information ?
I would very much appreciate any information / advice you can give
Many thanks
Chris Tomlinson
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much was the House worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What information do you need ?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much was the house worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
House and contents worth approx £200,000
If I do not respond to her solicitors' request for information will that predujice my case .
Should I respond ?
How much financial information should I give if so ?
I am happy to give pension information which I know they could obtain anyway
Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
If you do not give the information then your ex can make an application to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with - and you will then have no choice
From what you have said you have sacrificed £100,000 of equity which should represent a reasonable balance for your pension.
Given that your pension is paid in the Uk you COULD be at risk if she does start court action.
Assuming that there are no hidden assets or incomes concerned then simply give the bare bone sof the financial information requested - you can use the Form E here
as a guide to what the court will ask for
Please ask if you need further details