How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My father died 1994 my mother died March 2015. Throughout the

This answer was rated:

My father died 1994 my mother died March 2015. Throughout the latter stages of her life (last 3yrs in care home) mother was adamant that her house (mortgage free) should be shared equally between my brother (57) and me(72). However unknown to me he got the house signed over to him around 1995.His son is now living in it and they have done some building work to it.House value £120.000(rough guess) How do we stand (me and 2 children)re inheritance?
George Downs

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that if the Deeds to the house were transferred to your brother in 1995, the legal ownership of the house passed to him at that time. Despite your Mother's wishes for the property to pass equally between the 2 of you, unfortunately as she is/was no longer the legal owner of the property, her wish had no legal standing.

Unless you can prove your brother in some way obtained the proerty by fraudulent means back in 1995 or by exerting undue influence on your Mother,

there is nothing you can do to make a claim against it.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you