How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been recieving widowed parents allowance since 2002

This answer was rated:

i have been recieving widowed parents allowance since 2002 ..i have been informed it will stop inseptember as my son begins university, and child benefit stops. However my statement says this benefit was made up of my late husbands ni contributions and only £ 8.00 per week was for my son . So why doesn't the £8.00 stop and the rest continue ? No one at HMRC can answer my question ! p.s. I was made redundant last year and have now taken my private pension . Regards ***** *****
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The simple answer is that the legislation that created this benefit also created this restriction.
Although the payments are base don you late husbands contributions the benefit is one which is only available where the surviving partner has a dependent child to care for,
You will be able to benefit from his contributions again as and when you retire
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can I benefit from my late husbands contributions ? Would I be entitled to anything now ? regards ***** *****

You are not entitled to anything now - unless you are eligible in your own right
You can work out how your pension will be effected using the information here