How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If a neighbouring property is in such a state of disrepair

This answer was rated:

If a neighbouring property is in such a state of disrepair that a large and potentially lethal lump of lead blows off the roof onto my garden, can I expect the local council to take action to compel the homeowner to undertake repairs?
Is the neighbouring property a private household? Does the council own the house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a private household although currently unoccupied

OK. And are they the owners or is it council tenancy? I'm just trying to work out where the liability might lie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are the owners. There are no tenants. But it is my understanding that the council has an obligation to sort things out if a building poses a danger to others

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you tried contacting the owner please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes but he refuses to make any repairs

Ok. The Council can't make him do anything, that is for abandoned properties. What you can do is seek a Court order that he makes good the property.
You need to get a Solicitor to write and ask that he do the required work and if not you will go to Court. If he refuses then you can obtain a Court order by completing form N1:
And N16a
The Court will list the matter and decide whether to make an order. If the Judge makes an order that he does the work and refuses then he will be in contempt of Court. This means he could be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you