How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Please can you help, my mother inlaw has advanced dementia

Customer Question

Please can you help, my mother inlaw has advanced dementia and has recently gone into a care home. my husband has concerns, due to a family lack of communication his brother and sister will not discuss any finance with him stating he has no right to know how they are spending his mums savings etc. This has been going on for 2 1/2 yrs. approx. They were told to put court of protection in place due to mum not being able to do a power of attorney because she lacked mental capacity and understanding. This however has not been done. Mums home has to be sold to pay care costs and they were recently told by county hall social services that court of protection had to be in place to protect mum and her property. They could not sell house without it.
However they have sold it, the only way we can see is that they got mum to sign something for this to happen ?? If this be the case would this not be illegal and a fraudulent activity on their part. My husband made enquiries at the estate agents but they would give no information. We recently had a call to say any keys have to be given to the estate agents by w/end 27/28 june and house cleared by then.
My husband has recent documents that state no poa, epa, or anything else in place. Please can you guide us do we need to involve the police in this matter ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
is your husband will to take on acting as his mother's deputy?