How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I run a public house and unfortunately a ladder was left

This answer was rated:

I run a public house and unfortunately a ladder was left propped up against a wall inside the pub which somehow fell and knocked a customer on the head. The customer hasn't caused a fuss but says she was unable to work the next day because she had mild concussion (and a huge bruise) and feels that she should be compensated for loss of earnings. Im happy to give her an amount as a gesture of goodwill but im worried then im admitting liability and it should be done officially through solicitors and insurance via compensation etc...? I'd rather it didn't come to that but im just a bit worried about just giving her cash because she's asked for it. I don't feel she's being difficult though and I do feel she shouldn't lose earnings.
Thank you
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You should put any offer in writing but you can just make this offer on a full and final settlement basis with no admission of liability.
The trouble is that from what you say you are liable and so the sooner you put it to bed the better.
If you write to her with a cheque saying that you make this offer in full and final settlement of any claim arising from this incident on a no admissions basis it should mean that she cannot bring any other claims. Given the circumstances she would have some form of claim for personal injury too so it would be in your interests to resolve this.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you