How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My son started smoking cannabis when he was 14 at school.He

This answer was rated:

My son started smoking cannabis when he was 14 at school.He is now 20 and has drug related psychosis. can I sue the school
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
I think it would be difficult to bring a case like this. You would need to show that there was some fault by the school that caused your son to start taking cannabis. It is unlikely that there is one single reason, peer pressure from other children and older children not just at the school may well have existed.
No doubt smoking cannabis was against the school rules.
There is not one case of a person who became a smoker at school obtaining compensation from the school. Taking drugs is a social problem and a personal medical problem. It would be very hard to pin the blame for your son taking drugs on the school.
The school if forced to defend this would almost certainly blame your son and you for his drug taking.
Even if you could establish a lack of care by the school as a trigger factor in his taking cannabis you would then need to prove that the harm caused was foreseeable. Many teenagers try cannabis without experiencing any serious difficulties and psychosis is an unusual result of teenage cannabis use.
I am sorry to give you this answer but the chances of bringing a claim against the school are very slim.
I guess it might be possible t
LondonlawyerJ and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you