How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My 83 year old mother has looked after my 57 year old brother

This answer was rated:

My 83 year old mother has looked after my 57 year old brother for the last 15 years. He has never paid any rent nor had any income. Last year he started to demolish my mother's flat. No internal walls or ceilings remain and the external walls now consist of just one skin of bricks. In late April, I have removed my mother for her own safety and have at long last cajoled the local mental health services into giving my brother an initial assessment. On the 1st June my mother served my brother with written, signed notice to quit on or before today, Monday 29 June 2015.
Builders are on standby to go in and repair the flat. I have been advised that my brother now has no legal right to continue living at my mother's flat and that we should simply remove him and change the locks: no court order is necessary. Is this correct?

How do you intend to remove him from the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Legally: perhaps you could comment. With luck, when he is out, change the locks. I live 120 miles away. Should add that when I visited last week he had circa ten down-and-outs in the flat, apparently two of which have been sleeping there too for a few weeks.

Thank you.

You should not use force against him as that would be a criminal matter, the ideal way of doing it is to change the locks when he is out and making sure he gets all his personal belongings back.

He is not a tenant and does not have tenant rights. However, I am not sure he can be classed as a lodger anymore as your mother is no longer living at the property but this is the best way of looking at it.

He is also not a squatter as he originally entered the property with your mother's permission.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for the good feedback.