How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6464
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I have paid a deposit new bathroom - the contract

This answer was rated:

Hi I have paid a deposit for a new bathroom - the contract was I paid a deposit then pay more when the goods arrive and balance when installed. I HAD AN EMAIL FROM THE COMPANY ASKING ME TO PAY THE BALANCE IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE IT ORDERED AND INSTALLED. THEY ALSO KEEP CHANGING THE DELIVERY AND INSTALLATIONDATE. IA SO WORRIED THAT I MAY HAVE LOST £3,000
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is £3,000 the deposit amount or the full cost of the bathroom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3,000 is the deposit. the full price of the bathroom is £7,400

When and how did you place the order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I placed the order in February by debit card. The Company rep visited me at home. I have used them before for a new kitchen so I was confident that they are ok.

Did you receive a contract and if so what does it say about paying the balance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the contract stated that I will pay a third on deposit a third on surver and the balance on completion.

can they change or vary the terms

No they cannot they are in breach of contract for asking you to pay the balance before completion.
I would suggest you contact trading standards to inform them of this issue and lodge a complaint. You will get a reference number that you can quote on your correspondence with them.
You should then write to them to say that you are not prepared to pay the balance until completion and that if they do not either carry out the work or come up with a start date or refund your deposit within 14 days you will have no alternative but to claim to recover your deposit.
You can do so online at
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much

no problem all the best with this!