My son lives in a shared flat in London and on the tenancy

My son lives in a shared flat in London and on the tenancy agreement it just states the rental payment for the whole apartment. However when they moved into the flat one of the tenants said that she would pay more than the others as they could not afford it otherwise. All this was agreed in text messages which my son still has. Now she is refusing to pay more than the others and has gone back on her word. How legal are the text messages?

They have now received emails from the landlord asking for the outstanding payment by tomorrow

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes text messages are legal and can be used as evidence. They are indications of the fact there was a contract and can be used in court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Can you ring me

01244 301475

I need to talk to you - is it possible within the next hour?

Ok. I am just in court. I can do it about 1pm?
I tried calling. Let me know when you are available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Could you ring me after 9 in the morning?

Sure. You may need to remind me!

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.