How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

My daughter was at University until the beginning of 2012 when

This answer was rated:

My daughter was at University until the beginning of 2012 when she had to withdraw from her course due to health reasons. She was living in halls and was up to date with her rent. This week she has received a letter from the University's finance department saying that she owes nearly £1500 for rent that was due on May 7th 2012. plus a clean up bill for the shared house that she lived in dated September 2012, and late payment fees.
The University stated in the letter that they had tried to contact her before via letter and email but she has not changed her email address and we have not changed address. This is the first contact they have had with my daughter. Are they allowed to make this demand over three years after she left?
I would be grateful for any insight that you can offer.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you saying this is the first you have heard from the university about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. this is absolutely the first time.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** period for bringing a claim in breach of contract is 6 years so if they can demonstrate that your daughter was in breach of contract by failing to pay the accommodation fees and/ or the cleaning fee then the fact that they have not raised it for 3 years does not prevent them from taking action in the event she does not pay.
There is nothing to stop you from querying whether the contract obliges her to pay and also complaining about the length of time/ lack of communication.
If contractually they are correct though and issue proceedings then she will be best advised to pay it.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you