How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We rent a property in a village which is run by a committee

Customer Question

We rent a property in a village which is run by a committee of 12 people made up of members an elected committee. Each member of the village owns a share (costing £1). We have problems with our property and the way the committee is dealing with it.We have never had a person that is qualified i.e. a builder come and look at our property. We believe there is only one other village run like this in the UK which makes it really difficult to know where to go for help with disputes. We have asked them for a mediator but they said there is nothing in the policy that says that they have to do this, so they will not. We really dont know what to do and where to go to advise us what the next step should be. Please can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have any rental agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes a tenancy agreement
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Is it full repairing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you mean do they take care of repairs then its a yes. If you mean does it need full repairing then no, there are a few issues that need sorting. We are also asking for a transfer but they think that we are in a suitable property for our size family plus they think it is in a decent state of repair so they wont let us. I have health issues as I am asthmatic and moving to a more suitable property i.e. double glazed windows that wouldn't let pollutants in would greatly help me. A property with a entrance hall rather than one that opens straight onto the lounge area would also help my asthma greatly by stopping major irritants getting into the house. I have provided them with two doctors letters saying this. They have moved people in the past for health reasons but some people have abused the system so they said to us " we are not saying that you abused the system but some people have so we are not going to move you."
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Why have they refused to do the repairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The floor in the kitchen is cracked and held together with tape at the moment. The property is very small and the kitchen has the only bathroom and toilet coming off it. This means you cannot live in another part of the house why it is done, as you cannot walk on it.Also the amount of dust will be substantial so I cannot be here with my asthma. They wont pay for us to move elsewhere while they sort it out. One of the reasons we also wanted to transfer was so that we could move into a place already sorted. We also have smoke from next years house coming into ours. Our next door neighbour is a smoker and we can smell cigarette in our bedroom. They say that it is impossible to have smoke coming in from next door,even though two of the committee have come round and smelled it. They have not sent an an expert to check it out. They just said that they will put in an airbrick. I found out that this would only suck more smoke through the house if this was done. We also have a mouldy kitchen which they have not looked at either. All of our complaints have not been looked at by a professional. The windows wont be double glazed because we are in a grade 2 listed building and its too expensive but they do have other properties that do have double glazing that they could move us too. They also said that "you knew what you were getting yourselves into when you moved in". We didnt know it was a Grade 2 listed building and did not know that we wouldnt be able to change the windows and build an entrance on it to help us. We also didnt know how bad the property was for letting in the pollutants at that point either.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok, do you know the cost of putting it right?