How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I caught my neighbour in the act of filming my 16 yr old daughter

Customer Question

I caught my neighbour in the act of filming my 16 yr old daughter and friends through her ground level bedroom window today. I think he is doing this in an attempt to monitor the volume of her music rather than any other reason but who knows! He seems quite eccentric and has complained maybe 4 times in the last 3-4 yrs about her music. We are a detached house and We do not have perpetual parties but he is retired with perhaps not a lot else to do but watch us. He complained around 4 months ago about some music that played around 7pm and was instantly turned off but he then persisted in walking up and down outside our house saying he had it under surveillance until around 10pm! I have reported both these incidents to the police so they have a record.
What if anything can I do to stop him acting like this? He is not rational to talk to and I cannot be home 24/7 to stop my teen and friends irritating him on occasion (I would stress loud music is not a frequent event and never a late one). I am really concerned now he is going to lengths of video recording through our windows and he was quite threatening when my daughter confronted him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. If you have reported the matter to the police what else would you like to know from me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice,

Has my neighbour committed a criminal or a civil offence?

What action can I take if the police do not do anything?

Is there a civil action I can take? If so, what are the grounds and what remedies are available?

Can I take a private criminal action? If so, what are the grounds and what remedies are there?

Is one course of action preferable to the other?

Kind regards


Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Good evening. Apologies for the short delay.Probably both. Harassment is a criminal offence. There is also a civil remedy for damages and an injunction; his behaviour could also amount to nuisance.You could start a private prosecution for harassment but as a non-lawyer you might find the process difficult. Or you could apply for an injunction/restraining order. These can be obtained through the criminal and civil courts. The procedure is a little complex but it can be done without a lawyer.Harassment is probably the best option for a private prosecution. If convicted he will have a criminal record, probably get a fine and there would also be a restraining order to stop his behaviour.I suggest pressing the police. If they will not help then see a solicitor and have a letter sent outlining your complaint and threaten legal action. If he does not behave you can use the letter as evidence and then start legal action.