How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just been caught speeding. The code given was SV77011.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have just been caught speeding. The code given was SV77011. The speed noted on the Traffic offence report was 103 mph on a dual carriageway where the speed limit is 70mph. I have a clean licence, the weather was good and I was only momentarily at that speed as I was coming out of a 50mph zone and then braking for a roundabout.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you would like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have searched the internet to look at similar offences and it seems as though 6 points and a fine is the average for this offence although there is a driving ban in some cases. Bearing in mind as I said that I have a clean licence, it was a clear day and the road in front of me was clear as I was overtaking traffic before I got to a roundabout. The road distance between the end of the 50mph zone which I had stuck to and where the police were with a hand held device was about 7/10 of a mile so I was up to that speed in that distance and then braking for a roundabout.

What is your view on the above please?

Just so I am clear its 103mph in a 70moh zone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that is correct.

Ok. The sentencing range for this is 6 points or disqualify from 7-56 days.
If you plead guilty and you have a good driving record you are more likely to get points. But if you need to I would also make sure you can use several weeks of holiday if you do get disqualified.
But if you get a solicitors I would hope you would get the points rather than disqualification given it was only for a short distance.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was going to say in court as I assume this is a summons offence and could not be dealt with by post, that I didn't think I was over 100mph initially before stating the other information regarding clean licence, road conditions and the fact that it was only for a short time.

In your opinion taking all of the information supplied into account and from results of this kind of speed which way do you think this would go?

Solicitors fees seem to be very high so I was going to support myself as it seems a reasonably straight forward case?

Yes even if you plead guilty it will be set down for a sentencing hearing. Whether you have a solicitor is a Matter for you, but you can also instinct a direct access barrister.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just want to get a feeling from yourself as I said using your experience of this type of offence of which way you think it could go please.

ie points and a fine or a ban?

It's hard to say, it really depends on the Bench, you may get sympathetic or hard nosed magistrates, it's just impossible to say.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.