How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am trying to find out if there is anything in the law

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to find out if there is anything in the law that can enable me to file a civil suit against the mother of my fiancee's daughter obtaining entry without our consent into our property. She was able to gain entry by instructing her daughter of 15 years who was residing at the time at our address but not on the rental agreement. The mother had access to the house for 20 mins and was witnessed by neighbours leaving with a suitcase and bags, we went to the police and they informed us that the fact that the daughter had a key and was residing at the time meant no criminal prosecution could be made, I would like to take a civil suit out but don't know what to file etc... Please help as we believe documents i.e payslips have been removed etc...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What loss has been suffered please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was some Mac make up equating to approximately £200, payslips we suspect have been taken, thinking from a data protection perspective, and sensitive information.
Clothes were also taken without authorisation from us, we suspect that other items are missing but cannot confirm at present, she had the opportunity of 20 minutes in the house in chaperoned.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.