How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia last summer,

This answer was rated:

My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia last summer, my Solicitor applied for Power of Attorney but made some mistake and the application was rejected and he now suggests applying for Deputyship instead. Can Power of Attorney still be applied for if someone has lost capacity? I would prefer a Power of Attorney rather than deputyship.  She is currently in a Residential Home and applying for legal authority to deal with her financial and health and wellbeing has now been going on since March of last year.   I have lost faith in this solicitor and need advice on the best way forward.  My mother is still able to sign documents and to understand what they are for and why she is signing them.

Thank you for your question.
If someone has lost mental capacity to the extent that they would not understand the legal nature and effect of a Power of Attorney then a Power of Attorney can't be done.
If, however, as you say your mother can understand the document then there is no reason why she couldn't sign Power of Attorney. Where there is any doubt her doctor can be asked to give an opinion as to her capacity to enter into such a document.
As you will appreciate there are degrees of incapacity but the test is always whether the person understands what they are signing and the purpose of the document.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you