How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have a situation with our local authority planning

Customer Question

we have a situation with our local authority planning dept where they say some buildings need tidying up under S.215 of T&CP Act 1990 (Untidy Land Notice). We have been willing to do most of the work and have indeed completed what we consider not excessive but have appealed the remaining works in the Magistrates Court. The local authority solicitor has an exceptionally aggressive and hectoring manner and frightens my partner considerably. She does not know anything, or much at least, of building matters and is frankly not the most organised of people (delightful in all other respects) The property is registered in her name, with a 'Care of address' for Land Registry of our retired family solicitor and friend. We checked with Land Registry if this is okay and they gave confirmation that it is.
The local authority have written to her at that address and had replies, but are now insisting she give her personal home address to them despite her providing a letter to them that any notices, or legal documents can be served on her at the 'Care of' address and she will not contest service if any are sent to that address.
She is of a moderate nervous disposition and really does not want all-and-sundry knocking on her door, preferring our retired solicitor friend to deal will all enquiries from the public (who want to buy the properties, etc., etc.) or from the local authority.
Two evenings ago a property developer/builder knocked on our friends door asking if he could speak with my partner and said he was given her (care of) address by the local authority Planning Officer to see if he could 'do a deal with her' (???)
The point is, she has a directions hearing today Friday and is now even more reluctant to provide her home address at the open hearing because of both the L.A's hectoring solicitor and whoever else they may pass the address on to.
Question: can she refuse to provide her home address but still provide the 'Care of' address? Or can she provide her home address private and confidentially to the Magistrates? Is an offence committed if she were to refuse to provide her home address at all?
Thanking you in anticipation. Ed
There is a
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With the greatest of respect, how difficult is it to field this out to a 'legal-eagle' who knows the rules for the Magistrates Court? I wouldn't have thought this is truly such a complicated legal point as to take this long for an answer. I think I expressed and explained it well enough for someone to be able to provide a straightforward response.

Could you try to provide some level of comfort that I haven't just wasted my money on an internet 'merry-go-round' that waits for me to just give up and write the money off?

Regards, Ed

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.


We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I'm afraid I have not had any feedback on this question but if it was indeed a simple matter I suspect it would have been answered already.

You do not have to write the deposit off as you may request a refund at any point under our satisfaction guarantee.

Thank you for your patience,


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, can I have a refund under your customer guarantee please?