How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My ex-husband tricked me into signing a loan agreement form

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband tricked me into signing a loan agreement form for £28,000. He told me it was 'something to do with the mortgage'. I trusted him, so signed it. Is this legal? Also, I found this out by accident in 2002. I don't have the paperwork, would the Halifax still have it, if I request it?

We took out an initial loan of about £8,000 which I knew about, but he increased it to £28,000 without my knowledge.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Why if you found out in 2002 have you waited until 2015 before doing anything about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I said, I've heard other people have been in the same situation and told there was nothing I could do. At the time, I was annoyed but still married to him, I found out he had further debts and tried to help him out. In 2008 we separated and I have been trying to sort out various messes ever since.

Its bad news I am afraid. Sadly under the Limitation Act you have 6 years to bring a claim, you knew in 2002 and therefore had until 2008 to bring a claim.
Sadly now you are 7 years out of time. I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, not good but can you clarify this means I would have had a case if I'd done something earlier? If so, can you clarify exactly what grounds? ie, fraud etc.

Potentially misrepresentation. But sadly you are stuck with the 6 years.
I am sorry.
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I just want to add to the above .
Since you were married to your ex this is a matter which can be dealt with within the financial side of the divorce proceedings