How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am grandmother to three grandchildren of my son. Him and

This answer was rated:

I am grandmother to three grandchildren of my son. Him and his wife are divorcing and the wife's solicitor has written that they understand the paternal grandparents have put money away for the three children. In law do they mean myself as grandmother or my son's grandparent (great grandparents)
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
It could mean either - and should be answered if either you or his grandparents have done so.
If the answer is yes then the solicitors should also be reminded that it is nothing to do with her!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this mean that I as grandmother can refuse to disclose any information. Many thanks for your prompt answer.
You can - but it will not help your son if you do so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why won't it help my son? In 2013 my son's wife texted him to say she had a partner and was very happy and content and wanted him to see a solicitor straight away so the divorce could go through without delay which he did. The children are with him two or three evenings after school and every single weekend although she claims she has sole care of the children. He is foregone any relationship for the sake of the children. Ever since 2013 he has been waiting for her to sign the divorce papers, but when she heard my mother had gone into a care home last August everything stopped. My Mum passed away in December and by May we were advised that she was going to court and had a copy of my mother's Will in which my son was named as a beneficiary. He declined his legacy for it to be put in trust for his children which would have been my mother's wishes as he is the only grandchild with children. Can you tell me my position now. Many thanks.
His ex as no claim on those funds in any event and there is no reason NOT to be honest with the solicitors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare you have been a big help. The nearly to be ex is wanting the money as part of the divorce settlement and has now hired a barrister. Is this normal procedure?


Assuming that all the paperwork was done properly regarding the bequest there is no cause for concern

The explanation is greed!


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you help me with the correct wording for declining an inheritance please
HiI am sorry - you said this had already happened - do you mean it has not?Clare