How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have lived in the same house as my mother in

Customer Question

I have lived for decades in the same house as my mother in whose sole name the house is registered. She is severely ill and is likely to die without making a will.
I understand that in these circumstances, the estate of the deceased is shared between the occupants.
I would like to know if I can control access to the house as the only registered occupant after my mother's death. Also, if the house has to be sold, I want to know if I can prevent one of my siblings from buying it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and what financial contribution have you been making towards it?