How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I get a Home Rights Notice cancelled if I show that I owned

This answer was rated:

Can I get a Home Rights Notice cancelled if I show that I owned the property mortgage-free before I met my soon to be ex-husband?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
No i am afraid not.
The Order can only be cancelled when the Decree Absolute is granted - or there is a Financial Order made within the divorce proceedings confirming that your ex has no interest in the Matrimonial home
I am sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am expecting the Decree Absolute next week and I do not believe he has applied for a financial order, just served the Land Registry notice. If this is the case, will the Land Registry cancel the HRN when I send them a copy of the DA?
Yes unless your ex obtains a Court Order extending the Restriction.
However be aware lifting the restriction does not mean that he no longer has a claim on the property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how does that work then? Does he have an indefinate claim on the property?
Unless and until there us a final financial order within the Divorce proceedings, or he remarries
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But if the Decree Absolute comes through without mention of a financial order what then? Surely he would have needed to make any claim in the 6 weeks between the Decree Nisi and the Absolute?
No I am afraid not - his potential claims remain unless he remarries
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you