How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was taken to court in 2012 unpaid debt,i defended

This answer was rated:

i was taken to court in 2012 for an unpaid debt,i defended with a statute barred letter,they failed to provide evidence that i owed the money , this week they have have you to me saying they are taking legal action against me, can they do this
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
No they can't. Its an abuse of process. If they have taken to Court before on the same debt, they can't do it again. If they have you can apply to have it struck out as an abuse of process. They are relitigating on decided matters.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry still a bit confused , i have been in touch with the court ,they stayed it in feb 2012 ,they have written to me to asking for me to lift the stay ? this is over 3 years on .would they be able to get a stay lifted after 3 years when they were given 33 days to provide evidence ?

I see. It depends on the wording of the stay. Usually it would say and to be struck out after 12 months if no application is made.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.