How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Please could you provide me with some information regarding

This answer was rated:

Please could you provide me with some information regarding immigration concerning a specific subject/person.
My son's father is from the Ivory Coast and has not been in contact for almost 2 years. He has been living back in the Ivory Coast. In order for him to be allowed entry back into the United Kingdom, would he have to show that he has access to our son.
I have not heard anything from him until recently and am thus questioning his motives for getting back in contact. He does not contribute financially either.
He is married to a Lithuanian and were married in the UK. They have a son who I believe would not have British nationality despite being born here.
His name is***** and his date of birth 07/06/76 and is originally from Kohogo in the Ivory Coast. His wife's name is***** and their son is called Bryan. He has his own business called Siaao UK Ltd which can be found on Facebook.
I would appreciate some advice on this matter before I email him back - I do not wish for my and my son's nationality to be abused and used.
Kind regards, *****
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you know if his wife is living and working here in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was when they met/got married, but is now in the Ivory Coast with him.
It is of course entirely possible that he does want a relationship with the child.
However it is a fact that if he does have a relationship with the child then he can use that as an argument that he should be allowed to remain in the Uk to exercise his right to a family life.
However equally his wife is entitled to live and work here in the UK and if she does so he is entitled to live here as her spouse.
I suggest that you move carefully on the matter - and see what actually happens.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer -my apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I've been in hospital having surgery.
Would you say that having contact/conversations on Skype is a start to a relationship?
I read under immigration law that he would have to return to a country within 2 years, but if he is coming with a spouse, he shouldn't need to make a claim to a child although this would strengthen his case, wouldn't it? However, if he and his wife have split up then he will need to claim on British child.
He makes no financial contribution-is this ever considered?
He did tell me never to contact him!!!
Yes, move with caution....
Hi Elinor
Brief Skype calls would be a start - and yes the lack of financial contributions would be a problem for him
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you