How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex husband has a new partner and I want to meet her as my

Customer Question

My ex husband has a new partner and I want to meet her as my only son does have alternate weekends with his father by agreement between us. They/she is refusing to meet me and they have recently moved into a new 2 bed flat and will not give me the address.
She has a 12 year old daughter and so when my son goes there he is expected (I have refused this) to sleep in the lounge with the obvious disturbance to him. My son is 6 and needs his 12 hours of sleep. I have suggested that they sleep in the lounge when my son is there but they have refused.
They met on an Internet dating site and I doubt whether my ex has asked questions re her past and relationship with her ex. Please help it is driving me to distraction.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why can he not have a blow bed in one of the bedrooms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He cannot share with a 12 year old girl who is not related and ex and girlfriend don't want him with them.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
There are a number of points to be made here - some of which you will find hard to accept.
The first is that sadly you cannot insist on meeting your ex's new partner.
In fact there is no law that says that the children cannot share a room in this circumstances - despite their ages and sexes.
The idea that there is relates to the fact that if you are in Social Housing and have children of different sexes and one is over 12 then that is a reason for being rehoused.
equally the proposed sleeping arrangements are not unusual in these circumstances
However you are entitled to have the address where your son is staying (unless you have a history of harassment which I am sure that you do not)
In fact all the points are of importance - and I suggest that you arrange to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation
making it clear that you will apply for a specific issue order regarding the address if need be
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details