How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husbands mother is threatening to take us to court to gain

This answer was rated:

My husbands mother is threatening to take us to court to gain more access to our children. She sees them whenever she wants, but claims to friends and family I (daughter in law) will not her see them, she visits once, sometimes twice or more a week. She has tried to split myself and husband up, even thrieatening to stand up in church and say something on our wedding day and many other incidences. I get anxious when she visits as I am worried about the lies she is spreading about me and that she is trying her best to cause conflict between my husband and I. I am white South African and she has been racist towards me, calling me black etc. The conflict and stress with her phonecalls causes my 3 year old to cry at times. I feel she is trying to split my family up and need professional help and advise. I have read up about proceedings and also that other couples has applied for a non-molestation order.

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the UK are you in?
How old are the children and where does she see the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bath, 1 three year old and a 9 month old baby. She mainly visits at our house and sometimes her house, she lives 2 miles away.

Will your husband support you in limiting her visits
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As my husband is the only child it is difficult for him. We have just today had a situation occur where she turned up at our house unannounced with a friend, this is after the last time we spoke a week ago where she told me that she feels sorry for my children and do they know what a liar I am. We had conflict because I found out that she made payments out of a joint second property account for our holiday home which she shockingly does not want to pay back £2700. I could not cope with her today as had a very bad day with teething baby and told her for the first time that it was not convenient to visit. She the later contacted my husband and stated she wants to see my eldest daughter and he agreed to take her to her house later in the week, which caused an argument as I feel he does not support me and state to his mum that her behaviour is unacceptable, otherwise she thinks she can treat me one way and still have a normal relationship with my children.

The first thing to say is that grandparents have no automatic right to contact - and need permission from the court to even apply for it.
The court would certainly not make any orders in a situation such as this where she is already having more than adaquate contact but simply wishes to be able to treat your home as a cafe.
Might I suggest that you make it plain that she is only to attend your house by invitation, and tell your husband that this is how it must be.
Then have her to tea one week and the next week suggest that your husband takes the children to her house so you have a break.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details