How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a housing dispute and was wondering if there was anyone who specialises in this

Customer Question

I have a housing dispute and was wondering if there was anyone who specialises in this area that could assist me further?
I had some major issues with a landlord pre 15/11/2012.
Bot***** *****nes is, I was in rent arrears, I travelled, on my return wasn't able to gain access into the property, there was a new tenant living in the propert.
I was emotionally unable to fight anymore so left the situation after going to the police station and was told that they had no powers due to me being a private tenant.
I have since tried to get on with my daily activities.
Today I have received a letter from a court enforcement demanding that I pay £10,029,64
Or agree to make payment within the next 7 days or further costs will be added.
My problem is I don't understand how they came about this figure as this was not stated.
So am not in a position to either make payment nor agree to make arrangements to pay down on this debt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Has there been a possession order please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We went to court regarding seeking posession, a judge had ordered that the Landlord would attend to specific concerns I had.
I was waiting news on a new court date, so still didn't know of any new outcome. I travelled over the christmas period. On my return, I faced the outcome described previously.
I was never in arrears anywhere near £10,000 all my possessions which I held in the property was never recovered by myself. I assumed they were auctioned off to make up for arrests. That coupled with my huge deposit which I had put down. They also had received a bonds from my local council, hope this is useful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to receive outcome findings from requesting this from the court?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can. But I need to know if you had a possession order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I thought i answered already.From my understanding of a possession order, the court had not yet directed that the posession of the property had been taken from me, at least not that I was made aware of.So the answer would be, not to my knowledge.Sorry I can't say yes or know, there is a possibility, however I wasn't receiving my post due to my post box being vandalised. Which I informed the landlord, council and courts of at that time. Landlord ignored my request to have it repaired.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My actual question is how should I respond to the letter which I received yesterday if I don't know where this actual figure has come from, nor do I want to commit to an agreement within 7 days without discovering further?
I do understand that some could be from interest incurred from 2012 based on courts decision, if this was done the right way, but I don't have any evidence of this to know for sure.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You said you have had a letter from Court enforcement though?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This new letter was sent to my mothers address yesterday.
I no longer live in the property that the landlord is chasing payment for and have not been back since I was refused entry nearly 2 yrs ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Who was it from though? The court or just a debt collector?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It states that it is from a High Court Enforcement, but document doesn't appear official.

Based on that I'm assuming it isn't from the Courts, coupled with there not having a stamp or 'claimant', 'defendant' added to document.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Did you ever receive possession proceedings?