How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 822
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Over a period of weeks, my wife was constructively lied to

This answer was rated:

Over a period of weeks, my wife was constructively lied to by her daughter, ( my step daughter ), that she was being abused by her partner & as a matter of desperation needed to move/ find alternative accommodation. Apart from the monies provided by my wife, I signed a guarantor agreement for an alternative property, in an effort to expedite her moving.
We have now found out there was no such threat from her partner - & we have effectively been taken for mugs. In such a circumstance, where do I stand as regards ***** ***** standing as Guarantor.
Thank You
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
As far as your guarantee to the landlord is concerned there is no way out I am afraid. If you have entered into this as a result of misreps by your daughter and you suffer losses as a result then you may be able to take action against her. At the moment I assume you have not suffered losses and therefore there is no claim to make.
I am afraid to say that there is no legal remedy for you in this situation and you will just have to hope that your daughter pays her rent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, my wife as you can imagine is still in a state of shock, due to the misrepresentations being so personal & calculated beforehand, which as a result I am of a mind to take action. Is there a name for the type of action I should be looking at ?

Thanks Again

At the moment you could allege that the money provided to get the flat was obtained by deception. You cold seek return of that money alleging that the money was obtained as a result of a mirsrep. Was the money provided as a loan or a gift?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife made the loan, which as I understand was in the form of a loan, ( would need to confirm ). We're more concerned that if capable of such contrived deceipt in the first instance, we would be liable if/ when she wilfully stops her rental payments, - despite obtaining her guarantor ( me ), through using such initial deception.


Your agreement to be a guarantor is with the agents/landlord not with your daughter. It is binding between you and them irrespective of any dishonesty from your daughter to you and your wife. You can only escape the guarantee obligations in the unlikely event of the landlord/agents releasing you.
LondonlawyerJ and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you