How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I had some plumbing works carried out on my property a year

Customer Question

I had some plumbing works carried out on my property a year ago. Te building firm charged 10.000 in total. The work was inspected by gas safe who found many faults along with extremely poor and faulty workmanship.
The builder refuses to rectify the problems.
Cracked toilet seat
Bad smell from downstairs toilet
Badly fitted boiler with no warranty certificate
Tiles removed from wall, left open with pipes exposed
Can I get legal advice? I paid by bank transfer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Under the supply of goods and services act 1982 s14 there is an implied term that all services must be supplied with reasonable care and skill.
Breaching this term is treated as a breach of contract. If this company provided the services in breach of this section you would have a potential claim for breach of contract. In the first instance you are required to give them an opportunity to remedy the claim however if they refuse you will have to quantify your losses and consider making a court claim against them.
What I suggest you do is write to them and say:
1. They are in beach of their implied obligation to provide the service with care and skill;
2. Say if they do not commence remedy of the issues ( provide a list of what needs fixing) in the next 7 days you reserve the right to:
- appoint someone else to remedy the work;
- commence a money claim to recover your losses (you can commence a claim here);
- and/ or complain to trading standards.
If they still do not respond you should consider taking the action I have described. I would however consider getting another plumber to quote for repairing the work on the basis that you can use the quote to prove you have suffered a loss if you make a court claim.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards