How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

We had our bathroom refurbished in May 2013 and during the

This answer was rated:

We had our bathroom refurbished in May 2013 and during the work we began to be a little anxious re the standard of work and time it was taking. At the end we knotted some money off due to some specific complaints we made. About 12 months later after we had had some re occurring problems with the plumbing of the toilet I decided to take the part the company had fixed and look for a alternative fitting. The plumping specialist shop said the part that had been fixed was completely inappropriate and suggested i call trading standards. I had to re position my toilet to allow a proper fitting to be installed and noticed other small errors in the origional work . Also over the last year a crack ( started small and now much bigger) in out kitchen ceiling ( directly above the shower that was put in). We were aware that the company who fitted the shower as part of the bathroom refurbishment had to cut through some floor joists and put some new wood in to fit the drainage for the new larger shower. However having been concerned with the crack in the ceiling getting worse and the movement in the floor by the shower, we had another professional workman look at it. He said that it looks like the fitting of the shower removing part of a joist was clearly not done adequately given the amount of floor movement and now crack in ceiling below. He also said the flu surround and shower tray were incorrectly fitted and the overall finish of the bathroom was poor. Given some of the problems have only come to light more recently re the crack getting bigger, have we any grounds to get some compensation for this and due to poor plumbing should trading standards be involved Should i first contact the firm to see what their response is? We don't want then in the house again to do more work.
Thank you for your advice?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was the bathroom installed by the retailer or a separate contractor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
separate contractor, advertsed as small family business
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, should have said Hi Jenny, my name is anita.
Hi Anita, is the issue solely with the fitting rather than the bathroom itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The products we bought to be fitted were of a reputable shop so yes its how they were fitted that is the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry not reply before as didn't realise had to look at email page again...i thought the conversation would be on this page i m viewing re my answers .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on right page now i think to see your answers!
Ok the first thing you can do is to phone trading standards to lodge a complaint about the fitter, you will be given a reference number which you can use on correspondence.
You should then write to the fitter to say that they are in breach of the Sale of Goods and Services Act by failing to fit the bathroom to a reasonable standard. You should say that you have lost confidence in them as the repairs they have effected have not resolved the matter. You should get a quote from another company to repair the problem and ask them to meet the cost of the repair work otherwise you will bring a claim. You should give them 7 days to respond and say that if they don't you will bring a claim in the county court.
Hopefully this will lead to a satisfactory resolution.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your quesiton I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks....i assume from your answer that we have a clear case under the Act you refer to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it went to county court who pays?
Yes the law says that the work has to be of a reasonable standard, if you have had a third party come and inspect who has said it is not then you can demonstrate this in court.
The company will probably dispute this but that is normal.
You will pay the court fee but this is recoverable if you win.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.