How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6464
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I bought a mobile phone teenager (acquaintance of my

This answer was rated:

I bought a mobile phone for a teenager (acquaintance of my granddaughter) who had been kicked out of home so she would be able to contact friends. This was on the understanding that she paid me back weekly from her employment. She has paid £100 of the £189.99 she owes me but for the last few months has made payment promises that she had not kept, i have arranged to meet her, but she has not turned up and now is ignoring me on message and messenger. I do have proof of purchase for the iPhone but it is registered in her name with Apple. I also know where she works. What can I do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Does she owe you £89.99 in total ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes and now this fee too!

Ok thanks,
do you have anything in writing such as a text or email to demonstrate that she owes you the money, it's not the end of the world if you don't but it would be useful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do have proof of purchase both with eBay and Paypal. I have texts offering to pay me £80 which never materialised, can't find the text that asked how much she owed me...however she has no proof of purchase or payment. I was going to give her a receipt when she paid the whole amount.

Ok the simple answer is that she is in breach of contract (agreement) by failing to repay you and you can bring a claim against her in the county court (CCJ) if she fails to pay you back.
You need to send her a letter before action asking her to repay you within 7 days. You should say if she does not you will claim against her in the county court for the full amount plus your costs (which can include the cost of this question).
If she does not repay then you can issue a claim at
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I have the right to turn up at her work, or at the end of the end of the working day and ask for the money, or to ring her firm and tell them the situation, or ask to speak to her on the work phone or would that be seen as harassment. She works for a solar energy call centre.

Hi I would not advise turning up at her work or phoning her work. This could be construed as harassment.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you