How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Jo, I am on benefit such as ESA and DLA as im disabled.

This answer was rated:

Hi Jo, I am on benefit such as ESA and DLA as im disabled. I live with my husband who is my carer and was living in a detached house. My disability has got worse that I cant do stairs anymore so therefore we decided to sell our house and buy a bungalow. My husband is 65 years old and I'm 58 and we are both retired although mine is through ill health. We have now sold our property and have moved over to Sheffield to be nearer our son who can care for us if needed in future. We have found a bungalow and the solicitors are in progress with the buying process. My question is will my benefits stop now as we have all the money from the sale of our house in the bank at the moment but most of it will go out towards the buying of the bungalow. How much am I allowed to have in bank and will my benefits stop when I tell the DWP and Job centre plus about the changes in our circumstances.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How much money do you have please adn what is the intended purpose of it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo we sold our house for £320,000 but with expences we received £316,000 and the bungalow we are buying is for £235,000 plus expences. This leaves us with around £70,000 I think, but we were hoping to help our daughter with it to get onto the property ladder as she has been renting and wishes to buy her own place nearer to us to help look after us both as we are getting older and my health is getting worse. I can hardly walk anymore so I;m stuck indoors all time and use mobility aids to get about. My husband is also having trouble with his knees and stairs were getting to much for him also so much so he had couple falls down stairs needing hospital treatment. This is the reason we sold our house as I cant do stairs anymore so we could buy a bungalow which would be satisfactory for both of us and could house my mobility scooter as well.

It would not affect your DLA as that is not means tested. There are rumblings that my change but it hasn't happened yet.
ESA is means tested though and a sum greater than £16k is going to be an issue Im afraid. They probably are going to say that you don't qualify.
If you dispose of it otherwise than paying for your own accommodation or disability they will probably say that you have deliberately dissipated it.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarifh anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you