How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49808
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I'm currently on the sick from work because I've got whiplash

Customer Question

I'm currently on the sick from work because I've got whiplash from an accident whilst I was on a bus. I've been looking for a house to rent in a different area which will mean me giving in my notice. Work knew about this. I've since found a house and am moving. I've had 2 weeks holiday booked since January for the last week in July and the first week of August.My manager keeps hassling me when I'm returning to work but I don't feel well enough to return yet. I've got another appointment to see the doctor next Friday but am due back to work then. Can you tell me what's the best thing to do. My new house is over 20 miles away so I would have to commute by bus which is an hour an a half journey and my availability would have to change at work to compensate this. At the moment I was available from 6 am till 10 pm
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just over 13 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For Ben Jones. I've worked there for just over 13 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry I lost my connection for a while earlier. Can you please confirm what you are hoping achieve so I can direct my response better
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it be best to give my notice now, then I wouldn't have to go back after my holidays or wait until my sick note runs out. I'm looking at the best way in which I won't lose too much money
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
If your holidays have been approved then your employer would need to honour these so at least you know that this time will be off work and you will get paid your normal pay. You can use your notice period to cover that time off too. So when you hand your notice in depends on how long it is and how much of it you would be off for and commute for. Say your notice is 3 months, your sick leave runs out soon and you have these holidays booked - the remainder of the notice you would be expected to work so if you are commuting it may cost you extra. if you were to delay handing in your notice. So if you are concerned about the extra costs of commuting or the way it will impact your job the you may as well submit your notice as soon as possible so that you start working that and part of it is covered by holidays and sick leave where you would not have to come into work. But the sooner you resign the sooner you will stop work so you will also lose out on your normal pay therefore you need to decide what is best in the circumstances - not to work at all, or still work but have to commute. It is a personal decision really, your legal position would remain unaffected.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you