How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71043
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am worried about a debt to the DWP support it

This answer was rated:

I am worried about a debt to the DWP for income support it has decreased from £21300 to £15600, but I have received a lump sum from a discretionary trust of £11000 which counts as income so I will loose Working Tax Credits anyway, and I am single mum of 52 my daughter is 15. Either I pay off a large part of the debt, or I keep the funds, and stop receiving working tax credit. I think it is time for bed, however I am very unhappy about this problem it will take a long time to sort out, I will just have to be patient, I think I have not

fully authorised you to reply to this, probably because there is a simple solution somewhere....

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am aware that the DWP will be administering Universal Credit in future months/years, however, currently I receive Working Tax Credits, and Child Tax credit. My problem is that I have received £11000 and will have to report it to HMRC and then will loose around £75 a week(that is an estimate) but if I were to pay off a large portion of the DWP debt, I know that Tax credits are means tested so I am wondering if they would take the debt repayment into account so that I do not loose entitlement to

full Tax Credits.

YOu mean if you use the money to repay the debt will they discount the fact that you have received the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I am also thinking of depositing some or all the money in my daughters account, would that be a way to avoid paying ? I accept my responsibility to refund as much and as soon as possible, however, my home is in a mess, and my daughter has no other means of support,

No. I am sorry but it would not.
You have to disclose that you have received this money as you know. If you dissipate it they will say that you have done so deliberately and stop all means tested benefits. It used to be possible to set up a trust to avoid this but no longer.
Sometimes they will accept the repayment of debt. It depends on the nature of the debt. They will certainly accept things like disability products. It cannot be guaranteed but if this is secured or unsecured legitimate debt then that is a use of money much more likely to be accepted than paying into your daughters account.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I could leave the debt as it is, repaying what is possible each month, currently £50. or repay a large amount say £7500-£10000. if not, stop the Tax Credits, and spend the money on

home improvements etc. Next April my claim will be re assessed and then there will be the opportunity to re-organise our income/spending.

The solutions are beginning to come clear, Thank you.

You could spend the money on home improvements but do be aware that there would need to be improvements that address any disbility for which they are paying you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not receive any disability benefits, but could perhaps apply.

If I agree to sign up for more Just Answers, perhaps you could help further, the main thing is to be honest when talking to the relevant

department, and try to reach an agreeable plan, Thank you .


You will need to email customer services on***@******.*** about your account but they can do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, will do, Thank you,

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you