How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I left a pair of binoculars in a deli shop accidently and when

Customer Question

I left a pair of binoculars in a deli shop accidently and when I went back in the next day I was told that nothing had been found.
I went back to try again a week later to be told "Ah yes the binoculars" and that had been found. However when the staff member went into the back room to collect them for me, they were not to be found.
They could not offer any explanation other than maybe the cleaner "moved them"
They held sentimental value for me and I wondered if I had any recourse especailly having been told originally that they had not been found.
I suspect they have been "lifted"
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know if they have any sort of responsibility to me for "losing" these once they were in their possession.

They are now denying having them in the first place and refuse to accept any sort of responsibitly after telling me initially that they had not been found

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Sadly it's your responsibility, you could claim for replacement and I will outline how.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: