How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have left company in October 2009 , but company was using

This answer was rated:

I have left company in October 2009 , but company was using my skills since that time , It is documented as results of my work have been supplied to this company on a regular basis . I have not invoiced them for my services as they were telling me that they will pay later when financial status will allow them to do it . It has gone now nearly 6 years and I have heard rumours that company may will close down and I would like invoice them now. Have I lost payment for my work or can still demand payments for my work invoicing them now and demanding payment ?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How much are you owed in total?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In total it is over £60,000 over last 5 years.

You have not necessarily lost the opportunity to make a claim for the money you are owed. The key is whether you did the work for them, that they accepted it and that there was an agreement that you would be paid for that work. It does not mean a detailed written agreement – a verbal one can be sufficient, as long as it was clear between you that you would get payment for that work.
The main way you may lose the right to claim is if there was a specific contractual agreement requiring you to submit your invoices within a specific period of time. However, that does not appear to be the case as they had actually told you that they will pay you at a later date so they would have given their consent for you to claim that money a6t a later stage.
So you are able to submit the invoices now if you wanted to. If they refuse to pay or are being difficult about it, then whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you