How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Iam selling a property that I have owned since 1956 I have

This answer was rated:

Iam selling a property that I have owned since 1956 I have the deeds but buyer is now saying there is a charge on the property going back to 1958 that I know nothing about

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Has your Solicitor contacted you concerning this Charge?

I take it that your Deeds are unregistered? Who is the Charge in favour of?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes he has the deeds date from 1870 approx. the charge relates to a moneylender

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, to enable you to complete your Sale, your Solicitor will need to obtain evidence from the Bank/B uilding Society that the Charge has been paid off in full.

Your Solicitor would normally therefore require form you any correspondence/account number you have kept concerning the Charge and then write to them to get this confirmation. I appreciate it appears you do not know what the Charge was for, and if this is the case, your Solicitor will just have to write to the Lender asking them to check their records and hopefully get confirmation that the Charge wa sindeed paid off may years ago. Sometimes, Lenders do forget to remove their Charge from the Land Charges Department's records,and this is what has hopefully happened.

I hope this assists but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you