How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a debt from years ago, I cannot remember who with or

This answer was rated:

I had a debt from years ago, I cannot remember who with or what for which had been passed on to an agency, I originally signed to agree monthly payments for 13 1/2 years. I paid this for 7 1/2 years but thn ran into difficulties and stopped. My parents then asked to settle this and adsked for a settlement amount which they never received. I then moved, due to ill health, roughly 5 years ago and moved in with my parents. They started writing o me again about 6 months ago, but as I had no details of the original debt ignored the letters and have had no contact with them. They have now sent a letter stating that they are going to visit my elderly parents address but they nor I want this as my father is terminally ill and the property is nothing to do with me. How do I stand
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
When did you make the lat payment please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 5 years ago

Ok, if you can delay it by another year it becomes statute barred, so its really important you check the date you last made payment or admitted it. Drag it out.
I would suggest getting a Mailbox at say:
Then you can give them that address to write to and they wont bother your elderly parents. Once the 6 years had elapsed you can then say that its statute barred and time limited.
But you can delay it by changing the address and using a box service provider.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.