How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In March 2015 I successfully sued a local taxi owner

This answer was rated:

In March 2015 I successfully sued a local taxi owner for breach of contract.( paid for return fare but did not arrive)
The court found in my favour and I was awarded the cost of the fare £42.50, plus costs.
I assumed I would be awarded all costs involved, ie. the court fee of £30, plus the hearing fee of £25.,
The latter sum I paid due to the fact that the defendant refused arbitration, whilst I wanted to pursue that course.
I have written to ask why the judge did not award this sum, and the reply I received was quite amazing.
The judge replied, " that the notes on file do not support a claim for a hearing fee.The Judgement cannot be amended without consent of the Defendant unless an application on notice is issued."
I did not understand, and telephoned the court for clarification.
I was informed that I would need to pay yet another fee for an application on notice.
The defendant has not paid the sum outlined in the original judgement (£42.50, plus £25 for the summons)
I have a limited pension income and feel very hesitant to part with any further fees unless I can reclaim them in full from the defendant.
Please advise
Margaret Roughley
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you ask for costs on the day please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The judge had the paperwork, and I assumed that fees for both the summons and hearing fee were combined.

I was not asked any questions regarding costs

Sadly you need to ask for costs at the hearing. If you did not then you need to make a formal application to vary the order or appeal it.
If you wanted costs then really you needed to ask at the hearing, the only way now is to apply and vary the order with evidence of what you paid.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will I be able to recover the extra costs involved in applying to vary the order.

The defendant has not paid previous judgement

Yes you may be able to if the Judge allows you to. You need to show you have paid them.
Does that help?
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.