How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50173
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

An employee, who left on holiday without notice and still holds

This answer was rated:

An employee, who left on holiday without notice and still holds keys to the office is demanding money we know she is not due or she won't return our keys. What do we do?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What money does she think she is due?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
42.5 hours, she was there for only twenty, she was due a review due to bad work and possibly knew we were firing her anyway. She wants £345 to return our property basically. Not lots of money but she isn't due that much and only worked two days a week anyway. Can we change licks and deduct it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Locks, sorry. She won't come in to discuss her demanded hours and says 'I'll post your keys when I get time.'
Would the business be affected if she does not return the keys?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She knows when no one is in the office- weekends. It's also our home during the week, so yes very possibly
The employee cannot keep the keys, even if she thinks money is owed. Tis could amount to theft although it is uncertain how seriously the police would treat it, although there is nothing stopping you from reporting t to them – they could get hold of her and warn her to return them before things get any more serious. In the event you do not go down that route or they do not act to assist you, then you are really looking at one of two options. Paying her just to try and get the keys back, or if you do not want to do so, you could change the locks and whilst you cannot deduct it from money you are due to pay her, you could charge it against anything he tries to claim from you in the future. You could remind this person that if she has a dispute over pay there are ways to deal with it, such as through the tribunal or directly with you, not by holding you hostage by refusing to return the keys, Remind her it is theft and that you may contact the police and that it is in everyone’s best interest that she returns the keys, otherwise you would just change the locks and charge her for this work. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you