How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49819
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Have been suffering religious abuse 3 years. Lodged

This answer was rated:

Have been suffering religious abuse for past 3 years. Lodged an official complaint last September. External investigation cancelled by head office of organisation abusing me a day before it started. No steps taken until just received invite to meet senior leadership 10 months after complaint. Are there any legal steps I can take concerning the matter.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you employed with this organisation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I was employed as a Volunteer overseeing administration of the various departments but was dismissed without a valid reason. It is a charity organisation.

Was the dismissal linked to the discrimination you were facing? When did the last discriminatory act take place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The dismissal was linked to the discrimination I am facing. The discrimination continues.

Ben I hope you also received the supplemental information I submitted with my question.

Thank you and briefly, what was the nature of the abuse you suffered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my official complaint review by the independent body prior to setting the date for investigation, I made reference to the fact that the abuse includes discrimination, intimidation and bullying based on the following definition:

“Spiritual (religious) abuse occurs when an individual, church or a belief system, whether intended or not, dominates, manipulates an individuals through fear tactics, mind control or some other psychological or emotional abuse (Oakley, Lisa: 2013)”.

Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
As you are not an employee of the organisation but a volunteer, you would not be covered by general employment discrimination laws and would not be able to pursue your case in the employment tribunal. Instead you would have to consider making a claim in the county court, which can also hear claims of discrimination.
There are strict time limits that you must adhere by however. To make a claim you must do so within 6 months of the alleged discriminatory act taking place. So if the acts you are complaining of are ongoing you would need to show that they are all linked and form part of one continuous act of discrimination. That is how you would be able to claim for acts that are longer than 6 months.
If you wanted to make a claim and pursue a claim for injury to feelings then you must complete form N1 for the County Court and issue it at your local court. They can assist with any other procedural matters that may be required throughout the claims process.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you