How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If convicted of a motoring offence how long do you have to

This answer was rated:

if convicted of a motoring offence how long do you have to appeal?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - I was convicted recently in my absence of a driving offence.

I intended to challenge the offence however the court had re listed the event without giving me the opportunity of dates to avoid - I explained this to them on Three occasions.

The email address they gave me did not work and they admitted they had some trouble with it..

I phoned them on the day of the trail and still they went ahead and convicted.

I now want to challenge the "listing" so that if re-convicted I would still have the right of appeal?

is there an expiry of how long I have?

You can always apply for it to be reopened but quite frankly I wouldn't waste your time. The court will not agree. I'm afraid they will not find this an acceptable explanation for not attending.
You do have a right of appeal within 21 days of sentence though to the Crown Court which is automatic.
You need to serve notice within 21 days though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Out of interest and I appreciate its not probably been done - is there anything stopping Suing the court itself (listing department) for damages?

Not on these facts. They have done nothing unlawful I'm afraid.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you