How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Thompson solicitors acting on behalf of Unison have given me

This answer was rated:

Thompson solicitors acting on behalf of Unison have given me an offer from South Lanarkshire Council and advised me to accept but it's about 1/3 of what I was expecting based on the settlement figures other members of staff doing the same job got from Fox and Cross. I am just looking for equality and feel that we are getting pressured to accept this low offer, not sure what I can do but have rejected it.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Can you explain the circumstances leading to the offer of settlement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Council finally admitted that they had underpaid care workers on the same grade as mainly male dominated jobs such as gardeners and refuge collectors and the employees that put the original claims in with Fox and Cross solicitors were paid large sums, the Unison union urged the rest of the staff to claim using their lawyers (Thompson's) and we have been advised to accept the offer from Council. The council say that they used the same calculations as before but we know that these offers are very low comparing to what earlier claiments received. The council refuse to discuss how they calculated these figures !
Hello I am sorry for the delay. would you still like help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as the council are still refusing to discuss exactly how they calculated the figure that they have offered.
Hi I would suggest you contact the council Freedom of Information officer, you should be able to get the details from the main phone number.
You can put a request in under the freedom of Information act for the figures paid out previously. This will not identify individuals. The employer, as a public authority will have to comply with the request.
This should give you the information you need to make an informed decision whether or not to settle for the offered amount.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you