How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My university paid back my tuition fee to the approved sponsor

Customer Question

My university paid back my tuition fee to the approved sponsor for the year 2013/2013. I did not request this and nor was I informed. The sponsor had paid the full amount for the year. The uni erroneously returned the money after the end of that academic year. The related regulation is this:
H3.1 "Agreement by the university to accept payment of any part of a tuition fee from a sponsor does not extinguish a student's liability to pay a fee, which shall only terminate when payment is received from sponsor."
The university received full payment and on time. For this reason I believe that I do not owe them anything. Am I correct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I agree with your interpretation of the applicable regulation which clearly states that your liability to pay the fee terminates (ends) when the university receives funds from a sponsor.
The moment the university received the funds from your sponsor, your liability to pay the fee ended under the above regulation and it is not your problem that the university returned the money to the sponsor.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would you suggest that I do next? I have made my position clear with the university but they insist that I am still liable. Unless I pay by the end of this August they will not let me graduate. I need to graduate as a condition of my employment.



Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I would suggest that you get a solicitor to write them a letter and threatening them with legal action if they do not let you graduate.
Alternatively, you may wish to contact the sponsor yourself and explain the problem and see if the sponsor is willing to return the money back to the university or channel it through you to the university.
Hope this helps