How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My mother in law has a UK bank account, but lives outside

This answer was rated:

Hello. My mother in law has a UK bank account, but lives outside of UK. By special power of attorney which was issued by a notary in her country of residence she gave me permission to deal with all her cash and represent her in all matters related to withdrawing the funds or making transfers, as she was not able to return to UK due to visa refusal. I tried to make a bank transfer online and as later was called by the bank rep. I spoke with them on her behalf, giving her name and all other personal info my mother in law disclosed to me and authorised to use as if i were her. Unfortunately i made one mistake and failed id check so they suspended the account until further checks .I now plan to go the bank with this power of attorney letter to sort the account out, but am worried if by any chance might have commited a criminal offence by not explaining the whole situation over the phone in the first place and spoke with the bank as if i were her. Please advise
You have not committed a criminal offence but you should inform them about your mother's visa issue and with the power of attorney, you should be able to operate her bank account.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you