How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My son has recently told me that his father gave him and his

This answer was rated:

My son has recently told me that his father gave him and his younger brother cannabis and alcohol when they were visiting him in Germany when they were about 13 and 14 years old. He was a drug dealer at the time and took drugs himself. I had custody of the 4 children from the marriage. I have informed the police but they have not done anything. Is there anything in law that I can do?
This really is a criminal matter so the only real way to pursue it would be through the police. I know you have already reported this to them but once you have done so it is in their hands and they would decide whether it is something they can take further. Unfortunately you cannot force them to do what you believe should be done and the best you can do is report it to them. The only other way to pursue this would be through some sort of negligence claim but that would only be something they can do so it is up to them to pursue. Also they would need to show that they have suffered some losses as a result, or personal injury. So for example if the consumption of drugs and alcohol has left them with some permanent injury or they now have an addiction which they can directly link to what he did, then it could be something they can take further but there needs to be evidence that such losses/injuries have been suffered and link them to what happened. In the circumstances I would say it would be rather difficult I’m afraid. Therefore, the best is to try and put some more pressure on the police if at all possible as they would be the best (and likely only) option to deal with this. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you